Followers

Monday, October 7, 2013

Christmas Joy - Fold

Happy Monday!! (Or whatever day it is that you're seeing this.) I'm here with you today with my second Christmas card of the year.  This week at the Card A Day Blog we are using the inspiration of "Christmas and Animals."  I decided to use another fancy fold for my card, known as a 'joy-fold.'  I couldn't find anything to explain where the name originated, but it's a nice design.  There are lots of videos on YouTube showing how to make this style of card.  So I won't go into too much detail, but I think my photos will show you how easy this design is to make.  Then you can check out some of the videos for variations.

I wanted my card to fit the standard A2 sized envelope.  In this case I started with a card base cut at 5 1/2" x 6 1/4."  My paper was from a card stack with die cut edges and printed on both sides.  This was important because both sides of the paper will show.  The 5 1/2" measurement would be the height of my card.  I scored at 2" from the die cut edge to make the card width 4 1/4."  Okay, here is a photo:

 
 I needed a second piece of card stock, and used a plain off-white on which I stamped a swirl background.  This piece was cut at 4 3/4" high x 6 1/2" wide and scored at 3 1/4" along the width.  Next I prepared the animals and the tree.  I stamped the three animals on the same off-white card, and cut them out by hand.  Then I used my Cuttlebug to die cut the tree using the design card.  I used a fine point glue pen to affix the tree and added some sparkle with a glitter pen. You can see the glitter in some of the photos, especially if you click on them to enlarge.
 

 
The tree was added to the front of the smaller card, and a piece of the design card was layered on the inside.  I also stamped the sentiment on the inside before affixing the two card pieces together.
 
 
Before assembling the card I inked the edges of both pieces and rounded the corners of the smaller piece to coordinate with the die cut edge.  You can see the way the two pieces are layered in the next two pictures.  The fold of the base is to the left, while the fold of the liner with the greeting is to the right.
 
 
 
When the card is closed the left flap is closed first, with the right side closing over the left.  The card is held in the closed position by the sweet little owl who stands guard by the tree.  The owl is affixed with two layers of foam tape.  The bunny and the deer on the inside are affixed with a single layer of the foam tape.
 I hope you've enjoyed my card today.  Here is a final photo and then your details:
 
 
Supplies:
          Papers:  K & Company "Glad Tidings" by Susan Winget, Stampin' Up "Very Vanilla"
          Inks:  Ranger Distress Inks in "Antique Linen," "Vintage Photo" and "Pumice Stone"
          Stamps:  Inkadinkadoo "Sketchy Flourishes" and "Warm Holiday Wishes," Stampin' Up "Forest Friends" and WaltzingMouse Stamps "Complements of the Season"
          Die:  Memory Box "Snowflake Tree"
          Misc:  Zig 2-Way Glue fine point, Scotch ATG, Sakura "Clear Star" glitter pen, Crop-a-Dile Corner Chomper
 
Thank you so much for taking time out of your day to visit.  I hope you have a wonderful week!!
 
'Til next time.....
 
Big HUGS!!
CHRISTINE

1 comment:

  1. Oh I like this fold and will be using this for Christmas cards, looks like a fun one to do and give lots of places for extra details. Excellent job on the card and the sprinkle of critters in a variety of places is fun

    ReplyDelete

Thanks so much for taking the time to leave some love. I truly appreciate you.